The first day in the lab with my AP Stats class was a little hectic. We had R and RStudio running but there was a problem trying to open an R Markdown file. RStudio asked to update. So I did, using the built in updater. Try to open a Rmd file again and I got the same warning, can’t open rmd, please update. I updated just rmarkdown two more times before I gave up. Now that was a problem. What to do?
After dismissing the students, I was a little upset because I didn’t expect to have any problems in the lab, much less trying to open an rmd file. So I used google to search. I read many replies on stackoverflow and the RStudio support forum until late at night when I finally found the solution.
Turns out that the rmarkdown I was updating wasn’t the latest update. This was the exact solution to our problem. I needed to go to github and download the latest update. I did that on my classroom computer and it worked. So happy.
Early Tuesday morning I got to the computer lab and had each student sign in so I could update the rmarkdown through github. When class time came, we were ready to go.
During class, I reminded my class that there will always be some problems with software and programming and that they need to be problem solvers. I suggested that they should have Firefox open in another tab, ready to search for a solution if their neighbor or the documentation can’t provide an answer.
And so it was the first day in the lab. I now have my AP Stats, IB Year I and IB year II all using R and RStudio. I’ll have some of their first plots next time. Till then..
Latest posts by Kevin (see all)
- Building Lego Technic Trucks - May 17, 2017
- Simulation in R For AP Statistics - November 28, 2016
- Make A Box Plot with Single Column Data Using Ggplot2 Tutorial - November 7, 2016